Sunday 22 May 2016

Paper Flower Making Tutorial and Mixed Media Tag - Raven

I like adding flowers to tags.  They give it a dimensional interest and add balance.  The trouble is, buying ready made flowers annoys me because it's only a few pieces of paper and I should be able to make that myself.  So I tried a few different things and the video below includes my flower tutorial.  A useful tip is to spritz your paper or card with water before starting.  This softens the fibres in the card and makes shaping easier.  The flower also seems to hold it's shape better once completed.  Also, whether you use a die to cut your petal shapes or just freehand cut some circles,  add loads of layers for each flower.  I think mine used 10 altogether - just make sure you don't make pile them so deeply you can't get the paper fastener/brad through it!
I used some new paints on this tag and I love them!  They are from Paperartsy and are acrylic chalk finish effect.  They give a soft matte effect and are superb for stamping onto.  The petals of this flower were cut from black card and painted with pink and blue chalk paint before being inked over with a word stamp from Waltzing Mouse Stamps (now sadly closed and much missed).
Here's the tutorial with matching nail varnish :)

No comments:

Post a Comment