Friday 1 June 2012

Bird watching

While I was full of virus I had time to watch the little birds which each spring sweep and swoop outside my windows.  It's a perfect location to watch them doing what ever birds do (I'm no expert - if it's bigger than a fly and has wings, it's probably a bird).  Himself has been trying to educated me and informs me that these little cuties are house martins...

It's difficult to catch them, they move pretty quickly.  Can you see the wings hanging below the nest in the pic below?
What you can see are these industrious birds flying in and out of the overhang of an old building opposite me where I think there are about 7 or 8 different nests.
There are at least two nests to the left of the furthest away drain pipe in the corner of the building and a minimum of four between that and the nearest drain pipe.  (What picturesque descriptions - not!)

These birds return here every year so it must be an ideal place for them to nest.  It's high up, south facing and difficult for predators to get to them.  (Been watching Springwatch on BBC.)

For about the past 3 weeks, the birds have worked from sunrise to sunset, feeding from the insect soup the warm weather brings out.  They have gone a little quieter in the past few days which makes me think some of the chicks must have fledged.  Perhaps I'll get better at wildlife photography and catch that next year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment